Photobucket

About Me

I'm a wife to this amazing guy...


...and I'm immensely blessed to be mom to all 4 of these awesome children.


When I'm not baking, I also love to sew, crochet, run, learn new things, and spend time with my husband and kids.


I learned how to bake at a very young age, about 9 years old, when my Papap first taught me how to make a chocolate (carob) bundt cake with chocolate frosting totally from scratch. 

I remember having so much fun, not only in the process of putting all the ingredients together to make something so wonderful, but also in the unbelievably awesome joy I felt watching others eat this amazing food I created and marveling at how delicious it was.

While I don't always enjoy the chore of cooking for my big family every night, I do love to try new recipes, and I've developed a life long LOVE of baking! (baking and cooking are two VERY different things!!!!).

Baking makes me think of all the people I love; it's my way of expressing my love to them. This site is dedicated to my Papap, who taught me the joy of baking and who passed away in 2007.


This site is also dedicated to my kids, all of whom love to bake with mommy, and have made me promise over and over again to share with them all of my favorite recipes so they can learn to make them on their own someday.



Living Gluten Free

Our GF journey began several years ago as my oldest daughter had reached a point where her growth had completely stagnated for a period of 2 years with no answers from her pediatrician as to what was causing the problem.

I searched for answers, and figured she was just a really late bloomer. But then in Jan. 2009 my friend, Brenda, started to tell me about some testing they were doing for her husband and son related to gluten intolerance.

I had no idea what that meant, but as she began to explain more of the details and reasons why they were going through the testing, along with details about some of the MANY varied symptoms - several of which I had seen in my daughter and other relatives, it made me wonder if my daughter could also be gluten intolerant. Turns out she was.

My parents have had some rather extreme food allergies for many years, one of which they always thought was an allergy to wheat...turns out this whole thing is not a big food allergy, but rather a genetic auto immune disease...that's when I started to dive in and educate myself all about this gluten free stuff.

We've been living 100% gluten free since May 2009. 

--- Yes, it felt unbelievably difficult back then (I threw some REALLY huge tantrums about it for a whole month) because I was convinced my family would starve and I mourned the thoughts of no longer being able to bake all my favorite recipes.

--- No, I didn't give up. I love a challenge, and was determined to find a way to create new, really yummy GF meals and baked goods for my family, as well as a way to modify some of our old favorites.  ***Mission accomplished!!!***

So here's my handy dandy little GF food blog where I can keep everything my family loves in one convenient place and share our favorite recipes with all of you. You're welcome!

I refuse to give up the joy that comes from baking from scratch, and the love that families share when they bake together,...not to mention all the ridiculously delicious goodies that result!


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the pics, story, very heartwarming...